Welcome to the Siouxland District Health Department (SDHD) Website. Use the A-Z Index to easily search our site or find out more about our programs and services by clicking on that tab.
SDHD's mission statement: "leading a collaborative effort to build a healthier community through improved access to health services, education and disease prevention."
Vision statement: “A healthy community for all”.
January is Radon Action Month – Has Your Home Been Tested?
Do you know if your home has elevated levels of radon? Radon is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that causes no immediate health symptoms, but long-term exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer. The average indoor radon concentration in Iowa is more than six times the national average.
Radon is a breakdown product of uranium found in soil, rocks, and water. Radon gas seeps into a house from the soil around and under the home; through cracks in the foundation, floor or walls; through hollow-block walls; and through openings around floor drains, pipes and sump pumps. Radon has been detected in new homes and in old homes, and in homes with or without basements.
Test kits are simple to use and inexpensive. Siouxland District Health Department, 1014 Nebraska St, is offering radon test kits for $5 each to walk-ins. Kits can also be purchased in most hardware stores or by calling the Iowa Radon Hotline at 800-383–5992.
Information about reducing radon hazards in your home as well as a listing of licensed measurement and mitigation specialists can be found at www.idph.state.ia.us/Radon/
Click here for a Radon Fact Sheet with more information.
Live Healthy Iowa 10 Week Wellness Challenge
What is Live Healthy Iowa 10 Week Wellness Challenge?
The challenge is a team-based physical activity and weight loss challenge that will help participants develop healthy lifestyle habits.
The wellness challenge runs January 27 - April 4, 2014. The cost is $20 per person. For $20, participants receive:
- Challenge T-shirt
- Weekly activity, nutrition and recipe tips via e-mail
- A personal online tracking page
- Unlimited access to healthy recipes, health tips and more
- Opportunities to win individual prizes and team incentives
- One-year subscription to a lifestyle magazine
- Discounted registration to Live Healthy Iowa 5K challenge finale event
- Free registration to Winter and Summer Iowa Games Fitness Walks and Zumba®
Get Started Today. Here's how:
- Commit to participating in the challenge
- Build a team of 2-10 people. All participants on the team must choose to participate in the weight loss challenge, the physical activity challenge or both challenges. Select a team captain, name your team and gather all team members' e-mail addresses, t-shirt sizes, and collect $20 from each participant.
- Worksites, churches, civic organizations are encouraged to join the Siouxland Business Challenge. Request a Group ID / Organization code from Live Healthy Iowa. Organizations participating in the Live Healthy Siouxland (LHS) businesses challenge will receive updates on their local ranking and will have an opportunity to win the LHS Traveling Trophy which will be awarded to the business with the highest percent of participation.
- If you are registering one team of family and friends, register your team under group code LHISiouxland.
- Team captains must register and pay for their team online.
- Upon team registration, each team member will receive an email confirmation and they will be directed to login and update their personal information and select a magazine. Participants will be responsible for logging into their personal dashboard and reporting their own minutes of physical activity and/or weight loss.
10 Week Wellness Challenge Flier
Questions or Need Help?
Please contact Angela Drent, Health Planner at Siouxland District Health Department.
or visit www.livehealthyiowa.org
February is Children's Dental Health Month
The following dental offices will be providing free services BY APPOINTMENT:
Please call the office of your choice to see if your child qualifies and to set up an appointment!
Sunnybrook Dental – Dr. Mindy Stevens: 5708 Sunnybrook Drive, Sioux City, IA / 712-274-2338
Dr. Dona Prince: 4220 Sergeant Road, Sioux City, IA / (712) 274-2228
Lohr Family Dentistry – Dr. Julie Lohr: 2918 Hamilton Blvd, Sioux City, IA / 712-255-1163
View Calendar or Flier
Contact Maranda Hollins at 712-202-1028 if you have questions regarding Children’s Dental Health Month.
Get Public Health Information and Updates from SDHD on Facebook & Twitter
Siouxland District Health Department is on Facebook and Twitter @SiouxlandHealth. "Like" or "Follow Us" so you can get timely public health information and updates on disease outbreaks, foodborne illnesses, programs and services, and general health information.